Have you ever been in a situation where you want to convert a shared mailbox to a user mailbox in Office 365? Worry not, in this article we will be going over methods that we can use to convert mailboxes.
What Is A Shared Mailbox And What Is The Difference From A User Mailbox?
Before jumping on to how to convert shared mailbox to user mailbox in Office 365 let’s take a look at what is a shared mailbox. Shared Mailboxes is a mailbox in which multiple users can send and receive emails using the same email address. Or in simple words, it is a common mailbox that is used to send and receive emails among multiple users. Some of the differences between a shared mailbox and a user mailbox are as follows:
- User Mailboxes need a license whereas a shared mailbox doesn’t need a license as long as the size of the mailbox is under 50GB.
- A Shared mailbox can be accessed by multiple people while a user mailbox can only be accessed by one user.
- Shared mailboxes can’t be opened on mobile devices while user mailboxes can be opened on mobile devices.
Why Are Shared Mailboxes Converted to User Mailbox In Office 365
There are a lot of reasons why someone would want to convert shared mailboxes to a user mailbox in office 365. Some of the common reasons are, say a company goes through a merger and a department that used to use the shared mailbox doesn’t exist anymore. Here since the department doesn’t exist anymore in such a situation the admin might want to convert the shared mailbox to a user mailbox in Office 365. Or if the shared box has crossed 50GB limit and needs a license to be assigned to it. Then in that case the admin might want to convert the mailboxes.
In a situation like this, the company might need the data of their employees to be shifted around. Or another reason it can happen is when the admin no longer wants to give access to the data to other users then he/she converts it into a user mailbox.
How Can You Change Shared Mailbox To User Mailbox?
Since there are multiple ways to convert shared mailbox to user mailbox like using PowerShell or using EAC. As per the convenience of the user, he/she can choose which method they would like to choose to convert their mailbox.
How To Convert Shared Mailbox To User Mailbox Using EAC?
EAC or also known as Exchange Admin Centre is a portal that is used by an admin user to maintain and manage the users and the mailboxes. Follow the steps below to convert a shared mailbox to a user mailbox using EAC.
Steps to Use EAC
Go to Classic Exchange admin center
- Select recipients and then select mailboxes.
- Select the shared mailbox section.
- In the “Convert to Regular Mailbox” section select the convert option.
- Go back to the admin center and under the User’s section select the user account linked with the shared mailbox and assign a license to it.
- Now reset the password of the mailbox.
Once the process is completed the mailbox will be converted to a user mailbox.
Also Read : How to Add Yahoo Mail Account to Outlook?
How To Convert Shared Mailbox To User Mailbox In Powershell
Powershell is a program that is used for task automation and configuration management. It has a command line interface that is used for various tasks. Now let us go through the steps that we need to follow to use PowerShell
Steps To Use Powershell
- Connect Powershell to Exchange Online.
- Start Powershell in Administrative mode and follow through with the commands below
- Install-Module -Name AzureAD
- Install-Module MSOnline
- $UserCredential = Get-Credential
- Create a persistent connection to a local computer.
- Import-PSSession $Session
- Set-Mailbox [MAILBOXNAME]-Type Regular
- Check to see if the mailbox is away from Shared Mailbox and visible in the mailbox for users.
As you can see following the manual methods is not that convenient and is difficult to execute properly. If not executed properly it may even pose the risk of data loss. Hence we recommend using the most reliable tool Office Migration Tool. This tool provides the most secure and reliable method that you can use to convert a shared mailbox to a user mailbox in Office 365.
Also read: How to import PST to Office 365 mailbox.
How to Convert Shared Mailbox To User Mailbox In Office 365 Using a Professional Tool
Here in this method, we use a professional tool to convert shared mailbox to user mailbox in Office 365. It is one of the most reliable and secure that you can use. Let us look at the steps to convert the mailboxes.
Steps For Using The Professional Tool
- Download Install and Open the tool.
- Select Microsoft 365 in the source as well as the destination option.
- Select the items you want to convert and if needed apply a date filter on the same and click on next.
- Now you login into the source Office 365 tenant and click on the validate button to give the necessary permissions.
- After validating click on next and do the same with the destination Office tenant account and give the required permissions.
- Validate the permissions and click on next button.
- Select the fetch users option and wait till it fetches all the mailboxes from the source and display a green icon is displayed. Once it comes fetching is finished.
- Once the fetching is finished map the shared box to a user mailbox by entering the destination email in the destination email column.
- You can also import a CSV file to assign destination emails faster.
- Once the mapping is finished press the validate button.
- Once the permissions are validated click on the start button to convert shared mailbox to user mailbox in Office 365.
Additional Features Provided By The Tool
The tool provides a lot of additional features other than just converting shared mailboxes to user mailbox.
- Ability to migrate Emails, Contacts, Calendars, Tasks, Categories, and documents from OneDrive.
- Shared mailbox migration between source and destination shared mailboxes.
- Migration of data between Microsoft teams accounts.
- Option to migrate sites from Online SharePoint to SharePoint
- Ability to migrate Office 365 In-Place Archive Mailbox
- Feature to add Microsoft 365 source and destination via CSV files.
- Filtration can be done with regards to date for Emails, Contacts, Tasks, Calendars, and Documents to migrate only selected data.
- Option to migrate entire or selective User Mailboxes using Admin Account
- Ability to perform Office 365 tenant-to-tenant Migration.
- Delta Migration is also available to migrate newly arrived items from the source account.
- Option to set priority to certain accounts so that they can be migrated first.
- Users’ Migration can be done while performing 365 Migration.
- Ability to Migrate Groups and Groups members between Office 365 accounts.
- Deleted items can not be migrated using the tool
- Support for different types of Office 365 plans from the lowest one to the highest tier ones.
- Compatible with Windows 11, Windows 10(64bit), Windows Server 2012, and Windows Server 2016.
So in this article, we have taken a look at how we can convert shared mailbox to user mailbox in Office 365. We have seen manual as well as automated tools for doing the same. We have also seen that using the manual method is tedious and difficult to execute properly. If steps are not executed properly then it has the chances of data loss. So we recommend using the professional tool.