QuickBooks has been in the market for a while now and is continuing to bring in more users because of its wide variety of features and user-friendly services. The application has not only made dealing with tenuous accounting tasks effortless, but the affable interface makes the work less tiring. Among the many features of the QuickBooks application, the multiuser mode is the one that stands out the most. This feature permits more than one user to access the QuickBooks application and the files related to it simultaneously if they’re under the same network.
However, this working with this feature might get disrupted if QuickBooks error H505 interrupts in between. The supreme advantage of this feature is that you can access files from different devices. Still, if error H505 occurs, this easy accessibility of different files gets terminated, and the user receives an error message which reads as “The company file is located on another computer. QuickBooks needs time to connect.” If your important work is also getting affected by this error, then read through the blog for a well brief explanation of the causes and troubleshooting methods of this issue. Contacting our professional team to quickly rule out this error would also be quite helpful.
QuickBooks Error H505- A Brief Description
There are many types of H-series errors that can appear in QuickBooks, most of which are related to network problems when trying to access the company files stored on a server. Whenever QuickBooks has a problem connecting to the server, it throws an H-series error on the screen. QuickBookserror H505 occurs when QuickBooks on a user’s computer cannot connect to other computers on the network that are hosting company files. This error indicates a technical problem with your network setup that is interfering with connectivity between different workstations on the network.
What Causes the Error H505 in QuickBooks?
As talked about earlier, the error H505 in QuickBooks arises mainly due to network issues while opening the company file, but different computers might face different issues which could trigger a similar error, such as:
- Damaged Program Folders: QuickBooks requires some essential program files, Microsoft components, and network files to access online information. However, damage to files like .ND file or other MSXML file components might trigger the H505 error in QuickBooks.
- Former QuickBooks Application: Like any other online application, QuickBooks also demands constant updates. Also, as the new version launches in the market, the older ones start to respond slowly. So, to cope with the needs of the application, the user should regularly check and update the QuickBooks.
- Anti-malware Program Settings: While installing any anti-malware software, it automatically shuts the access of third-party applications to fetch online information to avoid downloading any harmful virus. But since QuickBooks is an online application, it requires constant network support to work efficiently.
- Incorrect Host Settings: As the error H505 arises due to some issues with the multi-user mode, incorrect host settings could be one of the reasons. If the application settings are not compatible with the server’s network settings, such errors are bound to occur.
Recommended to read: QuickBooks Error OLSU 1013
Signs to Figure Out QuickBooks Desktop Error H505
To acknowledge the presence of the QuickBooks Desktop error H505, along with the inaccessibility of the company file, you might also notice the following things.
- The appearance of error code H505 with the error message even after closing the prompt window.
- The user might face issues enabling or connecting to the multi-user mode in QuickBooks.
- The system may crash down suddenly while working on it.
- The files you were currently working on when the error appeared may even lead to the deletion of that file.
QuickBooks application becomes sluggish and unresponsive, eventually.
Top 3 Methods to Troubleshoot the QuickBooks Desktop Error H505
After having brief knowledge of what triggers the QuickBooks Desktop error H505 and how you can identify its presence on your system, try these methods to eliminate them from your system.
Method 1: Modify the Host Settings
- Go to the File tab in the QuickBooks application, and under the “Utility” option, go to the “Stop Hosting Multi-user configuration” option.
- Head to the windows screen with the company file open, and from the “Utilities” option, choose “Host Multiuser Configuration.”
- Then finally, restart the server from the workstation and access QuickBooks again.
Method 2: Generate a New Folder for the Company File
- Navigate to the company files folder on the computer hosting company files. Build a new folder on the desktop and paste your company files.
- Right-click the folder and select Properties. On the Sharing tab, move over to the Advanced Sharing tab.
- Move to the Share this folder check box and click the Permissions option.
- Then select the Full Control option for everyone in the group. Confirm the changed settings with OK.
Method 3: Get the Latest Version of QuickBooks
- Commence the QuickBooks application and from the “Help” tab, choose “About QuickBooks.”
- Select the Update Now option from the Update QuickBooks column.
- Select the Latest Features, Maintenance Releases, and Rollback Updates check boxes.
- Then click the Get Updates button and click the Install Now option to install the latest version.
- Now try opening a new QuickBooks application and restoring your backed-up company files.
Method 4: Modify Settings of the Antivirus Program
- Open the Run Windows by pressing Windows + R together. Henceforth, in the search bar, head to the “Control Panel.”
- Type the name of the Antivirus Program and press ‘Enter’
- Pick the “Allow an application through the Program” option and then finally hit on “Change Settings.”
- From the list of multiple programs, choose QuickBooks and select the “Public” option.
- If you don’t find QuickBooks in the list of applications, then select the “Allow Another Application” option. Browse and add QuickBooks to the list. Then follow the above step of making it Public to exempt it from being interrupted by the Anti-malware programs.
QuickBooks error H505 is a common issue faced by many users while dealing with the multi-user mode. However, we have come to your rescue with quick fixes to effectively deal with the issue. Hopefully, after trying the solutions explained above, you would get rid of this error completely. Despite this, if you feel the need for additional guidance, you can dial 1.855.738.2784.
You may read also: QuickBooks Error 1310