QuickBooks is an accounting software program that helps small businesses perform their day-to-day functions systematically and with ease. But sometimes the application gets issues and errors after all, it is just a software program and is prone to glitches. These issues and errors frustrate the users and hinder their work. While some of these errors are easily fixable, others are a little complex. One of the most common issues faced by users is the QuickBooks keeps crashing problem. If your QuickBooks closes unexpectedly, keep reading this article to know how to effectively resolve the issue.
If you are unable to resolve the issue or need help in performing the steps, you can reach out to us at 1.855.738.2784 for immediate technical assistance with the same.
Reasons for the QuickBooks Crashing Issue
Your QuickBooks app keeps crashing because of the following possible reasons –
- The QBWUSER.INI file is damaged or corrupted.
- The company file you are trying to access is damaged.
- QuickBooks is not properly installed or is not compatible with your PC.
- You are working on multiple reports simultaneously. Make sure to close the previous report before accessing a new one.
- You are working with a report center or working in different centers.
- Your Windows OS needs to be updated.
You may read also : QuickBooks Error 6190 77
Step-by-step Approach to Fix the QuickBooks Crash
The QuickBooks keeps crashing issue can be fixed by using the following steps –
Step 1. Updating QuickBooks
The most basic step to resolve the problem is to make sure that your QuickBooks is up-to-date. If not, run QuickBooks as an admin and update QuickBooks Desktop by going to the QuickBooks Help menu. Click on Get Updates on the Update Now tab and install updates by following the instructions appearing on the screen.
Step 2. Restarting your Device
Try to restart your system and run QuickBooks again. This helps in refreshing the system so that any minor bugs and glitches are resolved.
- Press the Power button and go to the Start menu to restart the application.
- Turn off the anti-virus program from the Control Panel.
See if the QuickBooks closes unexpectedly issue is resolved.
Step 3. Using the Quick Fix my Program Tool
Run the Quick Fix my Program from the QuickBooks Tool Hub to run a quick repair on your application.
- Install and open the Tool hub from the QuickBooks Help tab.
- Go to Program Problems and select Quick Fix my Program to run the repair tool.
- Check to see whether you can access QuickBooks without the issue.
Step 4. Adding .OLD to the QBWUSER.INI File
A damaged QBWUSER.INI file can be behind the QuickBooks crashing issue.
- Go to the C drive of your system and find the .ini file.
- Select Rename by right-clicking the file and add .OLD at the end of the file name.
- Save the changes and rename the DataStore.ecml file too.
- Open QuickBooks again and see if you are able to open your company file without any issue.
Step 5. Changing the Adobe Reader Preferences
If QuickBooks crashes when reconciling, revising the preferences on your Adobe reader can help the issue.
- Open the adobe reader and select Preferences.
- Go to the Edit tab and click on the PDF option. Click on Unchecked PDF view on the browser.
- Close the adobe reader by clicking on OK.
- Now, restart QuickBooks and try reconciling the report again to see if the error is rectified.
Step 6. Renaming the .ND and .TLG Files
Fix the QuickBooks crashes when opening company file issue by changing the network data and transaction log file names.
- Open QuickBooks Company File Directory and find the files with .ND and .TLG extensions.
- Now, right-click on the files and select Rename. Manually rename the files and restart your PC.
- Access your QuickBooks application again and try to open the company file.
Step 7. Installing QuickBooks by Using Safe Mode
Install QuickBooks in selective start-up mode to fix issues caused by third-party programs.
- Open the Run windows by pressing Windows + R. Type msconfig and press OK.
- On the General tab, choose the Selective Startup and Load System Services options.
- Select Hide all Microsoft Services from the Services tab.
- Select Disable all and unmark the Hide all Microsoft Services check box.
- From the services list, select Windows Installer and press OK.
- The System Configuration window will appear, select Restart from it and restart your PC.
- Try to access QB again and switch back to Normal mode if the issue is fixed.
Step 8. Performing Windows Update
Updating Windows can help resolve the QuickBooks keeps crashing issue. Install the latest updates on your Windows and once done, open QuickBooks and try to access the company file again to check whether the QuickBooks crashing problem is rectified.
Step 9. Fixing the Microsoft Components
Perform a repair on the following components manually using the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic tool from the QuickBooks Tool hub. Download and install the tool hub first and then run the diagnosis to find the problems that need repairing. Scan the Microsoft components namely –
- Microsoft .Net framework
- Microsoft C++ pitfalls
- Microsoft MSXML component
Once done, check to see if the QuickBooks closes unexpectedly problem is addressed.
Step 10. Try Opening QB while Suppressing it
Suppress QuickBooks desktop by pressing and holding the Ctrl key. This might help you fix the QuickBooks crashes when opening company file issue. Make sure that you keep on holding the Ctrl key till the No Company Open window appears on the screen. Once done, select and open the company file and see if you are able to access it without QuickBooks crashing.
Follow the steps given above to address the QuickBooks keeps crashing problem. If you are still facing the issue while accessing QuickBooks or the company file, you can reach out to us at 1.855.738.2784 to get assistance from our team of experts.
You may read also : QuickBooks Error 1402