The QuickBooks application lets users perform various functions and features on their company data. This enables the user to perform accounting and business activities with ease. A company file has all the essential company data, and it is the most important data file in QuickBooks. Sometimes, while working on the application, issues and errors occur that prevent the user from accessing the company file. If your QuickBooks is unable to open company file, there can be a few possible reasons for the issue. In this article, we are going to discuss the QuickBooks company file won’t open issue in detail, along with the various causes for the issue and the solutions to eliminate it.
If you are unable to understand the steps or resolve the error on your own, you can reach out to us at 1.855.738.2784 and get assistance from our technical team.
Potential Causes for QuickBooks Won’t Open Company File issue
If you are getting the QuickBooks not loading company file error, the following factors might be responsible –
- An essential QuickBooks File called QBWUSER.INI file is either damaged or corrupted.
- The company file on the hard drive might be damaged.
- The QuickBooks program files are having issues and are not working correctly.
- Your company file name is not as per the requirements and contains special characters.
- Your QuickBooks Desktop application is not updated to the latest available version.
- The Windows OS might be damaged or incompatible with QuickBooks.
- Data corruption can also lead to the company file error in QuickBooks.
- The QuickBooks file location is damaged, or you are using an incorrect file path.
- The network data and transaction log files are either damaged or corrupted.
- You are trying to open the company file in the wrong QuickBooks version.
- The company file is already open on another computer in the shared network.
Addressing the QuickBooks Company File Won’t Open Issue
The QuickBooks company file error can be easily rectified with the help of the following solutions –
Solution 1 – Prevent Automatic Opening of the Company File and Access it Directly from QB Desktop
Disable the automatic mode for your company file and open it directly from QuickBooks.
- Find your company file and navigate to the No Company Open window to select the file.
- Press and hold the Alt key and select Open to open your company file.
- Go to the Edit menu and click Preferences to select the Desktop view.
- Select the Don’t Save the Desktop option and hit OK to disable automatic mode.
- Once done, go to the File menu to open the company file directly from QuickBooks by selecting the Open or Restore Company option.
Solution 2 – Mend the Network Data and Transaction Log File Damage by Editing their Names
Problems with the .ND and .TLG files can cause the QuickBooks company file not loading issue.
- Open your QuickBooks File Directory and look for the files with .ND and .TLG extensions.
- Right-click on the file and select Rename to add .OLD at the end of the file name and hit Enter.
- Now, repeat this step to rename all the .ND and .TLG files and fix the damage.
- Once done, reopen QuickBooks and try to run your company file to check the status of the error code.
If the error still not fixed, then I suggest you to follow the following methods.
Solution 3 –Re-Locate your Company File to a New Folder on your Desktop
If the company file folder is damaged, the QuickBooks company file won’t open. To fix this issue, you can try changing the company file location.
- Go to the C drive of your computer and create a new folder by selecting the New option.
- Open the QuickBooks Company File Folder and find the file whose location you want to change. Right-click the company file to select Copy and paste it into the newly created folder on your Desktop.
- Now, open QuickBooks and select the Open or Restore Company option to browse for your company file from the new location.
If you are able to open the company file, your original file location is damaged, and you can fix it by renaming the company file.
Solution 4 – Check your Company File Extension, Type, and Size
Make sure that your company file is as per the QuickBooks file requirements and if not you need to modify your file criteria. Go through the below-mentioned requirements and make sure your company file adheres to them.
- The minimum file size should be 7 MB, and the file should be without compression or encryption.
- The file name should not be too long and should not consist of special characters like @, #, etc.
- Your company file should have the correct extension i.e. .QBW. You can’t open a backup or a portable file with the .QBW extension.
You can edit the file name by right-clicking on the file and selecting the Rename option. To see your file properties, select the Properties option and ensure that the size and extension are correct.
Solution 5 – Fix QuickBooks Installation Issues by Clean Installing the App
You need to uninstall QuickBooks and then reinstall it by utilizing the QuickBooks Clean Install Tool from the QuickBooks Tool Hub.
- From the Windows Start menu, open the Control Panel and go to the Programs & Features menu.
- Select Uninstall a Program and select QuickBooks from the appeared program list to uninstall it.
- Select Remove and click on Next to initiate the QuickBooks uninstall process.
- Once uninstalled, perform a quick system restart and thenreinstall QuickBooks Desktop.
- Go to the Installation Issues tab from the QuickBooks Tool Hub to run the Clean Install Tool and fix the installation problems.
- Lastly, rerun QuickBooks and open your company file to check if the “QuickBooks company file won’t open” issue is resolved.
If this method is not working in your condition, I suggest you follow the following methods.
Solution 6 – Rename the .TLG and .ND File
- Open your company file location where you save it.
- Then, right-click on the transaction log file; now, change its name to OLD.qbw.TLG. This company file has the same name as the company with a TLG file extension.
- After this open company file, QuickBooks automatically will create a .TLG and ND files.
If this method did not work in your situation, try the following methods.
Solution 7: Check out the properties and the file extension.
- First, open the location where you have saved your company files.
- You have to right-click on the company file and then choose the properties.
- Confirm your company file size is at least 7 MB
- After this section, in advance and do ensure all the boxes are compressed and encrypt attributes are unchecked.
- Now finally, click on ok
The QuickBooks is unable to open company file issue can be easily resolved with the help of the steps given above. If the issue persists, you can call us at 1.855.738.2784 and get assistance from our team of experts in fixing the problem.
Related search Terms – can’t open your company file in QuickBooks, Cannot Open QuickBooks Company File, company file is not loading, company file won’t open issue, My company file won’t open, QuickBooks Cannot Open Network File, QuickBooks won’t open company file
You may also like to read: Here’s A Detailed View on How to Resolve QuickBooks Error H505